Taking care of our mental health is just as important as taking care of our physical health. Something that people neglect because they tend to focus more on looking good on the outside, not considering that to be able to look good on we must feel good on the inside. Everything starts within us. We reflect what we feel. We embody our emotions and we portray our souls.
The way society views mental health is disheartening. For instance, when someone seeks help for mental issues;more often than not, that person will be tagged as crazy. The lack of understanding and awareness for mental health pushes a lot of us especially those who suffer from them in the corner.
There are early warning signs we must be mindful of not just for ourselves but also for our loved ones. Experiencing one or more of the following can be considered as a pre indication:
- Eating or sleeping too much or too little
- Pulling away from people and usual activities
- Having low or no energy
- Feeling numb or like nothing matters
- Having unexplained aches and pains
- Feeling helpless or hopeless
- Smoking, drinking, or using drugs more than usual
- Feeling unusually confused, forgetful, on edge, angry, upset, worried, or scared
- Yelling or fighting with family and friends
- Experiencing severe mood swings that cause problems in relationships
- Having persistent thoughts and memories you can’t get out of your head
- Hearing voices or believing things that are not true
- Thinking of harming yourself or others
- Inability to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work or school
It is okay not to be okay but if this begins to last longer and start to affect your day to day activities then it’s time to seek help or simply sit back and try to evaluate yourself and determine what triggers the uncommon behavior you are experiencing.
Taking a break from everything and relaxing once in a while might help. Going for a run or long walk, talking with a long time friend or simply by trying to see the brighter side of things and know that they will get better will make all the difference.